Friday, October 12, 2007

Germany-Austria Tour (Assumption Weekend)

How do you define Europe? It is definitely a continent. And what is quintessential European? You have to discover it for yourself. I think I got to know the heart of Europe when I was boarding a train from Köln (Cologne) to Mannheim on Assumption Thursday 2001. At Mannheim we took another train to München (Munich). We got on an ICE by mistake! That was another story altogether. Anyway, I went with Tina and Madon on that trip. There was this guy alternately talking in French, Italian and German, and I knew then that I was really in the heart of the continent. English was hardly spoken! And you'd hardly find people of other colour (excuse the pun) except for us Asians --the three of us Filipinos and another Indian there. Well, that's Europe for you. Then in Munich, we chanced upon the 'leftovers' of their celebration as they celebrated the victory of Bayern-Muenchen in the European Champions league against Valencia, I think. That was when I got to know Oliver Kahn and company :-) The night before, we were in Aachen, totally clueless to the noise as people were watching the game. So, that explained the big screen mounted at their Rathaus (City Hall). We only stayed for a short while in Munich. Then we boarded a train again to Salzburg, Austria and that was where we spent the night. Salzburg is of course the hometown of the musical genius, Mozart. His old home is now a museum. Salzburg's old city is just mindblowing! Salzburg is famous as the site of the movie, "The Sound of Music". Though hardly popular w/ the locals due to some liberties that the producers took in the movie, we made sure to join the tour. The tour took us to other places out of the town centre --to Fuchsl and to Gilgen-am-See which has a very beautiful lake and where we tasted apple strudel. Then from Salzburg we boarded another train to Graz. That was a really looonnggggg trip, about 5hrs all in all! Our hosts were in Graz, the Lobrigos, sisters of the unofficial head of the ISS Filipino batch, Fr. Jovic Lobrigo. They took us around town, even drove us to the border w/ Slovenia, (in Maribor), and drove us all the way to Vienna! On the way there, I vividly recall hearing on the news the kidnapping of the Germans, one of them, the lady was sick. In Vienna, we visited the Stefansdom (St Stephan's Cathedral) and the Stefansplatz outside where we heard traditional music from the Alphorns, Schloss Schonbrunn (Schonbrunn Palace) and also the Hofburg. From there we boarded a train that would take us back to the Netherlands. We passed by Frankfurt Intl Airport on the way back. It was alrdy late at night. That was when I knew how strict the German police could be w/ visas/documentations. Our coachmate had a visa from Canada and one of the inspectors really scrutinised if it was authentic! Gibale2 jud niyag tan-aw gamit iyang flashlight! By earling morning we were alrdy approaching Koln. But we still had to travel on to Aachen, then from Aachen we'd take the bus to Maastricht where we'd take another train to The Hague (Den Haag). It was a really long trip and we reached The Hague by 1pm the next day. And that was how we spent our Assumption weekend while studying in ISS! Wait, this blog is just to talk of what is Europe but I've alrdy said too much! Hehe, can't help it. Naglakwatsa ako ng husto dun e. I utilised my temporary residence permit to the max! As one Filipino friend in NUS said, "Ang dami mo nang napuntahan!" Or 'di ka ata nag-aral dun e'. Hahah. It's only because I'm really a wanderer, I love discovering new places and horizons. As what my brother aptly cautioned me, I'd rather let down my guard outside the country than any place here in Phils. Sadly enough, it's very true. But the Phils. would always be my home! Till next blog!

No comments: