Friday, October 12, 2007

TAIZE

Our chaplain at ISS, Fr Ben Engelbertink was so kind to drive us all the way to Taize, near Cluny in France. We were there from 10-16 June 2001. It was on this trip that I met Ms Jo, a Filipina who's divorced from a Swede. She emphasized that she's the holder of a Swedish passport but her nationality is Filipino. Her card is w/ Salvador, my Filipino classmate from Davao. He said he'd lost it.

I realize that my first encounter w/ Taize chants was in '92, during the Pilgrimage of Faith, the 50th anniversary of our diocese in Tagbilaran. That was a very memorable event; we were housed in Maribojoc w/ our foster parents, Manay Ipay (Felipa) Falar.

We made sidetrips to Ars-sur-Formans, the shrine of St Jeanne Marie Vianney, the patron saint of priests, and to the town of Cluny.

What I can remember from that trip was this line: "Do they expect us to pray on an empty stomach?" from an American pilgrim who had to adjust to simple life, incl. food there. But what I miss about Taize the most was Source St Etienne, the beautiful lake. A friend once said he had beautiful memories of me contemplating there. Hehe..

Long live Brother Roger and his brothers! Though he was murdered a few years back but I know, the spirit of Taize would live on.

No comments: